Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Obama Rewrites his own History

The National Review Online catches Obama trying to rewrite his foreign policy response during a YouTube debate last year.

Today:

QUESTIONER: "A year ago in South Carolina you said you would meet, in your first year as president, with President Ahmadinejad without preconditions. Is there anything you have heard today here in discussions with Israeli leaders that has made you rethink that pledge or are you still standing by that?"

OBAMA: "Dan, I think you have to take a look at what the question was in South Carolina and how I responded. The question is would I meet with leaders without preconditions in pursuit ... But I think what I said in response was that I would, at my time and choosing, be willing to meet with any leader if I thought it would promote the national security interests of the United States of America. , And that continues to be my position, that if I think that I can get a deal that is going to advance our cause, then I would consider that opportunity. But what I also said was that there is a difference between meeting without preconditions and meeting without preparation." (Barack Obama, Press Conference, Sderot, Israel, 7/23/08)


As a reminder the question was would Senator Obama meet with leaders of Iran, Syria, Venezuela, Cuba and North Korea in his first term as President without precondidtion. Obama's answer was yes.

Here's the tape...

No comments: